Ice Cream Sandwiches
Ice Cream Sandwiches are a summer classic! Vanilla ice cream sandwiched
between two soft chocolate cookies, delicious. And now you can make them at
home! I doubt you will after buy store bought ice cream sandwiches again after
you try this recipe! They are sure to put a smile on your kiddos faces.
The ingredients for Ice Cream Sandwiches
The ingredients are simple! You likely have everything you need already in your
pantry. Let’s break it down as each ingredient plays an important part.
- Unsalted Butter: Adds flavour and moisture.
- Granulated Sugar: Is used to sweeten your cookie base.
- Vanilla Extract: Adds flavour.
Yogurt: The yogurt adds moisture and the acidity helps activate the baking
soda and baking powder.
- All Purpose Flour: All Purpose Flour contains proteins allowing it to form gluten that is essential to the structure of this cookie.
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder: They are both leaving agents and will help produce a light chewy cookie.
- Salt: Salt will enhance the flavour of your cookie base and it works wonders in recipes with chocolate!
- Chocolate Chips: Adds additional chocolate flavour.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: Adds richness to your cookie base.
- Milk: Adds moisture and flavour.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: This recipe wouldn’t be an ice cream sandwich without it!
Ice Cream Sandwiches
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Yield|
|80 Minutes||8 Minutes||88 Minutes||
9 Ice Cream Sandwiches
|Unsalted Butter (melted)||1/2 Cup||113 g|
|Granulated Sugar||1/2 Cup||100 g|
|Vanilla Extract||1 Teaspoon||4,2 g|
|Plain Yogurt||1/4 Cup||55 g|
|All Puropse Flour||1 Cup||120 g|
|Baking Soda||1/4 Teaspoon||1 g|
|Baking Powder||1/2 Teaspoon||2 g|
|Salt||1/4 Teaspoon||2 g|
|Chocolate Chips (melted)||1/4 Cup||44 g|
|Unsweetened Cocoa Powder||1/2 Cup||40 g|
|Milk||2 Tablespoons||30,25 g|
|Vanilla Ice Cream||4 Cups||952 g|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line two square (8 x 8 inch) baking pans with parchment paper.
2. In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder. Set aside.
3. Next, melt your chocolate chips. Set aside.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the sugar and melted butter. Mix until no lumps remain. Add your melted chocolate and milk. Whisk until smooth. Next, add your vanilla extract and yogurt. Continue whisking until smooth.
5. Next, add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients. Mix until a dough forms.
6. Separate the dough in half. Place half the dough in one pan and the second half in your second pan. Using your hands, spread the dough into an even layer. (Note, the layer of
dough won’t be very thick.)
7. Bake for 8 minutes.
8. Allow the chocolate cookie base to completely cool before adding the ice cream.
9. Leaving the first cookie base in the pan, add your favourite vanilla ice cream. Spread into an even layer.
10. Next, carefully remove the second cookie base from the pan and place it on top of the ice cream.
11. Put it in the freezer for 30 - 60 minutes before attempting to cut into it.
12. Remove from the freezer and cut it into 9 equal squares and serve.
13. Store in the freezer.
Tips when making these at home!
This recipe is quick and easy! Below are a few tips to help you get started.
Tip 1: If you only have one square 8 x 8 inch baking pan that’s okay! Simply bake the first half of the cookie dough for 8 minutes. Carefully remove the cookie base from the pan. NOTE: Let the cookie base cool completely before attempting to remove it from the pan. It will be too soft and it will break. Line the baking pan again with new parchment paper and add the remaining dough. Spread it into an even layer and bake for another 8 minutes.
Tip 2: Make sure to line your baking pan with parchment paper rather than
greasing it. It’s easier to lift the cookie base out of the pan when parchment paper is used.
Tip 3: If your ice cream is too stiff, let it sit at room temperature for 10 - 20
minutes to soften. This will make it easier to spread.
- Tip 4: For best results use KPKitchen’s Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons. The cups and spoons are all made out of one piece of metal so the handles will never bend or break off. They are made out of the highest quality.
And the best part of this is that our measurements are stamped right into the metal so they will never wear off. Each cup also has outside markings for a smaller measurement size that is visible on the inside. It‘s time to replace your old plastic cup & spoon measure set where the writings rub off.
Recipe and Images contributed by @wholesome.homemade